A crib mattress makes it comfortable for a baby to sleep within the safety of a crib. Considering that the baby spends a lot of time in the crib and on the mattress, it is essential to keep the mattress free of dust and germs. A crib mattress pad can be used for this purpose. A good crib mattress pad protects the mattress from spills and gives extra padding that makes it more comfortable for the baby.
In this MomJunction post, we list the 11 best crib mattress pads and guide you on how to use them safely.
Safety Precautions For Crib Mattress Pad Use
Remember these points to keep the baby safe when using a crib mattress pad.
- Tight fit: The American Academy of Pediatrics states that the sheet, which goes over the crib mattress should be tight-fitting (1). A loose-fitting sheet may increase the risk of suffocation. Always check the size of the mattress and get a sheet to match the exact size for a snug fit.
- Regular cleaning: Wash the sheets immediately if the child soils it or once a week to remove dust, mites, or any other potential allergen to the baby (2).
In the next section, we provide a list of the 11 best crib mattress pads that you could consider buying.
11 Best Crib Mattress Pads
1. I Luv Bamboo Crib Mattress Pad
- The mattress pad is made from fiber sourced from bamboo. The manufacturer claims that bamboo fiber is 40% more absorbent than cotton.
- The back layer of the crib mattress pad is waterproof and prevents the mattress from getting wet in the case of spills.
- The fabric of the pad is breathable and may help keep the baby cool during warm weather.
- The crib mattress cover is hypoallergenic.
2. Cozy Caterpillar Crib Mattress Protector Pad
- The top surface of the mattress is quilted to provide extra cushioning and padding to the baby.
- The crib mattress pad is waterproof.
- No harsh chemicals or fire retardants used.
- It is free from PVC, phthalates, lead, latex, and BPA.
- The skirt (edge) of the mattress pad snugly wraps around the mattress to prevent it from slipping away.
3. Little One’s Pad Pack N Play Crib Mattress Cover
- The waterproof crib mattress pad provides a soft, quilted surface for the baby to sleep.
- The cover is machine-washable and can be safely put in a dryer.
- The top of the pad consists of an absorbent layer that soaks up any spills. A waterproof layer below the top layer prevents the liquid from reaching the mattress.
- It is free from flame retardants and other compounds, including PVC, BPA, lead, latex, and phthalate.
4. Margaux & May Ultra Soft Waterproof Crib Mattress Pad
- The crib mattress pad is made from bamboo rayon fiber, which is breathable.
- The top surface has high absorbency for spills.
- The waterproof layer below the top layer stops liquids from oozing into the mattress.
- The crib mattress pad is machine-washable.
5. Jambini Zipper Crib Mattress Protector
- The crib mattress pad has a zipper, which means it covers the entire crib mattress.
- The top layer is quilted to provide a soft surface for the baby to sleep.
- A waterproof liner inside the cover protects the mattress from spills and moisture.
- No phthalates, PVC, and fire retardants are used in the making of the mattress pad.
6. PureGrace Crib Mattress Pad
- The top surface of the crib mattress pad has adorable cloud patterns, which render softness and make it comfortable for a baby to sleep.
- The upper-most layer is made from Tencel, which is a breathable, soft, and hypoallergenic fabric.
- It does not contain harmful chemicals. There are no bleaches or dyes used in the making of the cover.
- The corners of the cover are reinforced with bands that allow for a secure fit.
- The PureGrace crib mattress pad is machine-washable with mild detergent.
7. PlushDeluxe Crib Mattress Protector
- The crib mattress pad does not employ the use of harmful chemicals, namely BPA, phthalate, vinyl, lead, latex, and flame retardant compounds.
- The top layer is made from quilted bamboo-fiber fabric, which is breathable and hypoallergenic. The crib mattress pad is also waterproof.
- The deep skirt bands allow the cover to grip a mattress snugly.
8. I’m A Little Teapot Organic Cotton Crib Mattress Pad
- The crib mattress pad contains an organic cotton top and side skirts. There is no use of polyester in the making of the mattress.
- It is Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) certified.
- The polyurethane waterproof layer is encased within the organic cotton layers.
- The pad is machine-washable and can be put in a dryer as well.
9. Swaddlez Crib Mattress Protector
- The crib mattress pad consists of three layers: a bamboo viscose layer on top, followed by a layer of polyester and then a waterproof polyurethane layer.
- The top layer of bamboo viscose offers high breathability and viscosity.
- The crib mattress cover is hypoallergenic and antibacterial.
- The pad can be safely put in a washing machine and dryer.
- There is no use of phthalate, lead, and BPA in the making of this crib mattress pad.
10. Carters Crib Mattress Pad
- The crib mattress pad is made from 100% soft polyester fabric.
- It is waterproof and is machine-washable.
- The nine-inch deep skirt allows for a snug fit with the mattress.
11. American Baby Company Crib Protective Pad
- The crib mattress pad is made entirely out of polyester and features a soft, quilted pattern on the top surface.
- The middle layer of the pad is waterproof.
- The cover is machine-washable.
- The edges are deep so that it can snugly fit a mattress.
Pads may help extend the life of a crib mattress by protecting it from dust, mites, and liquids. A crib pad is essential to maintain the baby’s sleeping space hygienically. Regular maintenance will make the cover last long and serve its purpose for several years.
Which crib mattress pad did you pick for your little one? Do tell us about it in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.